join mylot for interesting discussions and to earn money

http://www.mylot.com/?ref=goldie77

Search This Blog

Friday 21 May 2010

moving to Thailand: First orphanage visit

First Orphanage visit

I woke up early on our second day in Chiang Mai to pray about the day ahead. I was excited because today I would be visiting the first of three orphanages I had arranged to visit.

This first one was run by an Australian couple who had felt called to Thailand three years previously.
Tracey came by my hotel and I gave her a few bags of books, art supplies and soft toys which I had brought over from Scotland. She received them gratefully and said they were just what they had been needing. I felt quite emotional as we pulled up outside an attractive house with a mountain behind it. It was the same shape as the mountains in the picture God had given me and my heart missed a beat when I saw it. Nevertheless I knew it wasn't THE house because there was only one solitary mountain. However I felt strongly in my heart that I was  meant to be there.

The children came out to greet us - eight little treasures, rescued out of darkness, age from 9 months to 6 years. They were adorable and I couldn't believe how well behaved they were. The orphanage house was so clean and tidy, I made a mental note that I wanted my future orphanage home to be this clean. The helpers were doing a fantastic job both with the kids and in the house.

We had lunch and a long chat. Tracey and David encouraged me to follow God's leading if I was sure about it and said they knew God would provide for me if I was stepping out in faith to follow His call.
I felt encouraged and looked forward to my next orphanage visit two days later.

However the next day was going to be a special day for Josh because I had planned a trip to the orchid and butterfly farm just outside Chiang Mai. For me it was special too but I was careful to intersperse day trips and holiday activities with more "grown up" things like orphanage or school visits, or generally checking out daily life and facilities in Chiang Mai. I wanted Josh to be fully involved with the orphanage idea from an early age so that it didn't feel strange to him when we finally moved to Thailand but equally I was remembering that he was only 7 years old and needed to have some fun with his mum. I didn't want him growing up feeling resentful of God's call on my life. I've seen this happen at times in other families and wanted to safe-guard the special relationship we had.

It was a lovely day out and well worth the time but I must admit I spent most of the taxi ride there and back gazing out of the window, searching for that house in front of mountains,like the one in my vision.

No comments:

Post a Comment